KampusMe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Education has aided my boxing skills-Apochi

Go down

Education has aided my boxing skills-Apochi Empty Education has aided my boxing skills-Apochi

Efetobor Wesley Apochi, 27, a Microbiology graduate of the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) has remained glue to his passion – boxing and today he can boast of medals at the African Games and Commonwealth Games.

The Delta State-born pugilist has also been listed among the 13 boxers that will represent Nigeria at the 2015 African Games in Congo Brazzaville.

However, the National Sports Festival gold medalist told NationSport yesterday that being a graduate has rubbed off positively on his boxing skills.

“For me boxing is a passion because it has been part of me for a very long time. My education never affected me as a boxer rather it has helped me a lot because boxing is a game of tactics. Technically, I have been able to improve tremendously as a boxer and there was no time I failed because of boxing while in school. Although I had carry-overs which made me to have extra year before I finally finished in 2010 but it was not because I was boxing but due to challenges of life. For me my education has really impacted so much on my career as a boxer and I am grateful to God for this talent,” Apochi said.

He expressed optimism over his chance at the multi-sports championship in Brazzaville, saying that they are roaring to go with the kind of training they had undergone.

Apochi captained Nigerian boxing team to the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and he claimed silver in the men’s 91kg.

Apochi featured at the 2013 World Championships, winning his first match before falling to the eventual gold medalist, Teymur Mammadov.

At the 2014 Commonwealth Games he knocked out his opponent in the first round and then upset Australia’s Jai Opetaia in the quarterfinals.

In the semifinal bout, Apochi lost to the eventual gold medalist, Samir El Mais to settle for a bronze medal.
bola123
bola123
Senior
Senior

My Popularity : 76

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit